Thursday, July 11, 2013

Teacher Reading

I have been on Pinterest for what feels like forever (but as actually just since the days when someone had to invite you in order to be there). I started pinning items for my classroom right away. And then I started talking about them, and using the terms I learned. One of those first terms was "anchor chart". I used the term. I tried making a few charts for (not truly with) my students to use. Needless to say, the charts were less than well used by anyone. 

Just a few weeks ago, I randomly stumbled across the book Smarter Charts K-2 by Marjorie Martinelli and Kristine Mraz. I did not buy it immediately, but I did find their blog, Chart Chums, which promptly sucked me in for, no joke, about three hours. I was up till 2 a.m. devouring that site. Obviously, the next day I went over to Amazon and bought the book.

I have read most of it (it is an easy read, but full of great tidbits), and will be reading it again. I have also ordered more chart paper and markers, bought repositionable glue sticks, and am stocking up on every kind of sticky note under the sun. I am going to figure out the art of anchor charting this year or go down trying.

Also on my list for this summer: re-read Daily Five and revisit all those blogs that did the book study last year, read the CAFE book, and figure out how to work D5 into my day. I also need to finish reading Boys and Girls Learn Differently by Michael Gurian, which I started last fall. Not much to do this summer at all, at all.

So...what about you? What are the rest of you teachers out there reading this summer? Kindergarten friends, what are your "must-read"s?

--Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment